Here is our recommendation of what to check before converting to Xero:
- Ensure that Reckon is set to the correct GST accounting basis (cash or accrual). You can do this in Edit/Preferences/Tax/Company Preferences. For example: If your client reports to the ATO for GST purposes on Cash then this is how the MYOB file should be set up.
- Clean up the Reckon file by following these steps.
- Please remove the password for the Admin user. (See steps in 2 above).
- Create a backup from the current file and upload (how to back-up from Reckon).
- Ensure that all tax codes that are 0 or 10% are assigned to one of Xero’s standard tax codes as follows:
- 0% (BAS Excluded, GST Free Capital, GST Free Expenses, GST Free Exports, GST Free Income, GST on Capital Imports, GST on Imports, Input Taxed)
- 10% (GST on Capital, GST on Expenses, GST on Income).
- For Reckon Accountant version please save as general business version.
- To start the conversion go to the Upload page, upload the backup, fill in your details including a Xero subscription email and we do the rest.
- Do NOT change any account types in Reckon prior to conversion.
- Do not start a Xero subscription prior to the conversion:
- We set up an entirely new Xero org for you based on the file sent to us
- Conversion to a Xero 30 day free trial is not available with this service.
- On most occasions Xero will not allow us to apply a promo code to the sponsored conversion. Check with your Xero Account manager if you are wanting to do this.
- Check that the balances in all reconciled bank accounts and credit cards actually reflect the bank statement balances as of the last reconciliation date. If possible, finalise all bank reconciliations to the end of the previous month. NOTE: Reconciliation is easier in Xero, so if you do have unreconciled periods in Reckon this information can be converted, however, you need to make sure that the bank balances are correct as of your conversion history start date.
- Ensure all clearing accounts (including Undeposited Funds and Electronic Clearing Account) are reconciled to NIL. Alternatively, please be familiar with why there is a balance in these accounts so these can be dealt with in Xero post conversion.
- Confirm that the Accounts Payable report reconciles to Supplier statements and that all unpaid invoices are still due. Please use the A/P Detail Report.
- Ensure all credit notes are applied unless actually unused.
- Repeat points 3 and 4 for Accounts Receivable. Please use the A/R Detail report.
- Ensure the Accounts Receivable / Accounts Payable balance match the figures in the General Ledger.
- Ensure that all employees that are terminated have a termination date entered, rather than just being made inactive.
- Post Conversion please read the Action Checklist for the conversion specifics and the details of the next steps.
Please note that we are unable to convert files saved with Reckon Accountant versions, as we are not able to open them.
If you have a new Reckon Accountant file, we need the file to be saved from a business version of Reckon, or in a version that is earlier than 2017.
To do this, please follow these steps:
- Open the Reckon File in the Accountant version.
- From the file menu, choose toggle to another edition (e.g. Premier General Business).
- Save a backup copy of the file.
- Whilst still toggled, restore the back-up copy, this is now ready to upload to us.