Here is our recommendation of what to check before converting to Xero:
- Ensure that MYOB is set to the correct GST accounting basis (cash or accrual) under Setup, Company Information, BAS Information. For example: If your client reports to the ATO for GST purposes on Cash then this is how the MYOB file should be set up.
- For NZ MYOB files we MUST have your GST Number to convert the file.
- Create a backup from the current file and upload (how to back-up from MYOB).
- To start the conversion go to the Upload page, upload the backup, fill in your details including a Xero subscription email and we do the rest.
- Do NOT change any account types in MYOB prior to conversion.
- Do not start a Xero subscription prior to the conversion:
- We set up an entirely new Xero org for you based on the file sent to us.
- Conversion to a Xero 30 day free trial is not available with this service.
- On most occasions Xero will not allow us to apply a promo code to the sponsored conversion. Check with your Xero Account manager if you are wanting to do this.
- DO NOT ROLL YOUR FILE OR PURGE HISTORY. If the MYOB file is in the current financial year you will receive transactional history for the current financial year only.
- If you have already rolled your MYOB file DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ROLL BACK AGAIN. We are unable to convert files that have gone through a roll back.
- Check that the balances in all reconciled bank accounts and credit cards actually reflect the bank statement balances as of the last reconciliation date. If possible, finalise all bank reconciliations to the end of the previous month. NOTE: Reconciliation is easier in Xero, so if you do have unreconciled periods in MYOB this information can be converted, however, you need to make sure that the bank balances are correct as of your conversion start date.
- Ensure all clearing accounts (including Undeposited Funds and Electronic Clearing Account) are reconciled to NIL. Alternatively, please be familiar with why there is a balance in these accounts so these can be dealt with in Xero post conversion.
- Confirm that the Accounts Payable report reconciles to Supplier statements and that all unpaid invoices are still due. Please use the Payable Reconciliation Detail report.
- Ensure all credit notes are applied unless actually unused.
- Repeat points 3 and 4 for Accounts Receivable. Please use the Receivable Reconciliation Detail Report.
- Ensure the Accounts Receivable / Accounts Payable balance match the figures in the General Ledger.
- Check that your tax tables are up to date. If not please upload the latest tax tables. You can do this in MYOB under Setup, Load, Payroll, Tax Tables.
- Ensure that all employees that are terminated have a termination date entered, rather than just being made inactive (Australian files only).
- Run a verification of the MYOB file (from the File menu, MYO files only). Fix any errors so that the MYOB file can be verified without any errors occurring.
- Check if any Account numbers are longer than 10 digits. If so edit them to be unique numbers of 10 digits or less.
- Post Conversion please read the Action Checklist for the conversion specifics and the details of the next steps.